There’s the judgmental anon I know and love!
Yes, I do swear around Dictator. Not excessively, but swear words are definitely part of my vernacular (and the Husband’s), so she hears a ripe word or two now and then.
But you know what? My kid does not swear. I doubt she’d really heard the word “asshole” until last night, and she was just trying it out, just like she’s tried out “fuck” and “shit” before. And every time, we tell her that those are grownup words and that she can use them when she’s a grownup.
She knows that coffee is for grownups, alcohol is for grownups, driving is for grownups, hookers are for grownups, etc., and she seems to accept that. When that changes, we’ll deal with it according to the situation at that time.
Kids need to know that certain things are off-limits simply because they’re kids, and we don’t shelter her from “bad” things - we want her to be exposed to them so that we can explain them appropriately.
Besides, it’s a bloody swear word. Who cares? That’s certainly not the parenting hill I’m going to die on.
- mammamanna likes this
- mommywrites likes this
- sweetpeafairies likes this
- sobeginsourodyssey likes this
- somedaymom likes this
- mollysueschwarz said: that’s it. i’m naming my next kid “sassy”. and if i never have a next kid, i’m naming the next baby i see, “sassy”.
- mollysueschwarz likes this
- findingsharpie likes this
- inkdot said: “hookers are for grownups” - I do love you! Also, it bears noting that certain English-speaking cultures are on the whole more accepting of casual swearing than others. Australians, the Irish, or Canadians, par example. Let’s be real.
- inkdot likes this
- oneofourown likes this
- dollywantacracker likes this
- monkeybrainmama likes this
- mediocremommy said: anons are idiots.
- mediocremommy likes this
- sometimesihavethoughts likes this
- sometimesihavethoughts said: “hookers are for grownups”… i may have just peed my pants laughing
- mamaswears said: Perfect mom is perfect. Fuck you, anon.
- mamaswears likes this
- viaukraine said: I think you’re overbearing. Hookers are for everyone.
- kourtlynjane likes this
- juneofthemoon likes this
- dover likes this
- howtomakelovestay likes this
- unfortunatelymegan likes this
- bageldreams likes this
- wearemiley likes this
- somamasays likes this
- sunsaturatedsidethoughts likes this
- three-peas likes this
- lazydad likes this
- kimber-leigh likes this
- theramblingark said: Oh, please! Sassiness rules.
- you-n-me-kid likes this
- shortcake7502 likes this
- shortcake7502 said: Once during a circle time discussion about bbeing.careful a child blurted out “my mom has a special word when she breaks stuff its holy shit!” See, they understand that dramatic situations have special phrases. Hee hee
- the--kel--smith likes this
- herhairissobig likes this
- livingformeandmimi said: I love this! Especially the hookers are for grown ups part! (And I’m not being snarky or sarcastic!) I think you have a fantastic parenting style!
- iloverockandroll1977 said: I fucking love you and your fucking awesome blog. From my old English prof.,”Language isn’t moral, people are.”
- monpetitmondeamoi likes this
- monpetitmondeamoi said: Like I said, Little Dude is going to be fluent in French-English swear words. Better to learn them from me than from tv, music, school, friends, the streets. He’s going to hear them and he’s going to repeat them.
- iloverockandroll1977 likes this
- thesassyprince said: SASSY FOR LIFE!! All the sassiness forever!!
- thesassyprince likes this
- eighttimesover said: hookers ARE for grownups. A+ parenting!!!
- uglypuss likes this
- itonlylookslikeimincharge posted this